Quinoa (pronounced “keen-wah”) is a whole grain with origins in South America. We have combined it in this recipe with black beans, savory vegetables, and spices for a cold or warm salad that is light and refreshing. This salad is high in protein and can be served as a main with your favorite seafood, or side dish.
NOTE: For more protein and make it a one dish wonder or slimmer dinner add left over chicken, pork, or steak!
Recipe serves 6
1/2 cup quinoa (dry)
1 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 teaspoons lime juice
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon coriander (ground, dried cilantro seeds)
2 tablespoons cilantro (chopped)
2 scallions (medium, minced)
1 can black beans (15.5 ounce can, rinsed and drained)
2 cups tomato (chopped)
1 red bell pepper (medium, chopped)
1 green bell pepper (medium, chopped)
green chiles (2 chiles, fresh, minced, to taste)
black pepper (to taste)
1. Rinse the quinoa in cold water. Boil water in a saucepan, and then add the quinoa.
2. Return to boil, and then simmer until the water is absorbed, 10 to 15 minutes.
3. Cool for 15 minutes. While quinoa is cooking, mix olive oil, lime juice, cumin, coriander, chopped cilantro, and scallions in a small bowl, and set aside.
4. Combine chopped vegetables with the black beans in a large bowl, and set aside.
5. Once quinoa has cooled, combine all ingredients and mix well.
Note: For a cold salad cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Per serving 1 cup (254g)
Calories 140 / Protein: 5g / Carbohydrates: 23g / Total Fat: 5g / Saturated Fat: 1g / Dietary Fiber: 5g / Sugars: 5g / Cholesterol: 0mg