In this easy version of scalloped potatoes recipe, sliced potatoes are roasted in the oven giving them the baked potato flavor before being mixed with a simple, creamy stovetop sauce and sprinkled with extra sharp Cheddar cheese. Finish with a few minutes under the broiler turns the dish golden and crispy. A perfect savory side for our 400-600 calorie meals!
Recipe serves 10
2½ pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into ¼-inch slices (about 8 cups)
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 small onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon white or black pepper
2 1/2 cups low-fat milk
1 cup shredded extra sharp yellow Cheddar cheese, divided
2 teaspoons fresh thyme
1. Position racks in upper and lower third of oven; preheat to 425°F.
2. Toss potatoes with 1 tablespoon oil in a large bowl until well coated. Divide between 2 large baking sheets and spread in an even layer. Roast, rotating the pans from top to bottom about halfway through, until tender and beginning to brown, 20 to 25 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring frequently, until very soft and golden brown, 5 to 8 minutes. Add flour, salt and pepper; cook, stirring for 1 minute. Add milk; cook, stirring and scraping up any brown bits at the bottom of the pan. Increase heat to medium-high; cook, stirring, until the sauce thickens and bubbles, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
4. When the potatoes are done, remove them from the oven. Preheat the broiler.
5. Transfer half the potatoes to a 2-quart broiler-safe baking dish. Spread half the sauce over the potatoes and top with ½ cup cheese. Add the remaining potatoes and top with the remaining sauce and cheese. Broil, watching carefully, until the sauce is bubbling and the cheese is beginning to brown, 1 to 5 minutes, depending on your broiler. Let stand 10 minutes. Serve topped with thyme.
Make ahead tip: Roast potatoes (Step 2) up to 30 minutes ahead. Prepare sauce (Step 3), cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day; gently reheat until steaming before combining with the potatoes and cheese.
Per serving: ½ cup
Calories 210 / Protein: 7g / Carbohydrates: 26g / Total Fat: 9g / Saturated Fat: 3g / Dietary Fiber: 2g / Cholesterol: 14mg / Sugars: 4g / Calcium: 174mg / Iron: 1mg / Sodium: 223mg / Potassium: 587mg