This chicken tetrazzini is a comforting creamy low fat version of lusciousness! A cheesy pasta bake loaded with juicy chicken and plump mushrooms. When you bake this pasta casserole, some of the sauce bakes into the pasta, the flavors marry and something wonderful happens. You’ll know what I mean when you try it. Ridiculously good, easy to prepare, kid friendly, reheats well and freezer safe. P.S. you can further simplify this by using rotisserie chicken – You’re welcome ‘ma friends in advance!
Recipe serves 6
6 ounces fettuccine (preferably spinach or 100% whole wheat)
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
3 leeks, white parts only, washed and finely chopped (1½ cups)
6 ounces button mushrooms, quartered
1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary, divided
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup low-fat milk
2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
Grated zest of 1 lemon
Lemon juice, to taste
Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup fine dry breadcrumbs
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Coat a 3-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Cook fettuccine in boiling salted water until al dente, about 8 minutes. Drain and refresh under cold running water. Drain and set aside.
3. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add leeks and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, 6 to 8 minutes. Add mushrooms and ½ teaspoon rosemary; cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add broth and milk; bring to a boil, stirring, until slightly thickened, about 4 minutes more. Remove from heat and stir in chicken. Season with lemon juice, salt and pepper.
4. Gently mix the cooked fettuccine into chicken mixture and spoon into prepared baking dish.
5. Combine Parmesan, breadcrumbs, lemon zest, parsley and the remaining ½ teaspoon rosemary in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the mixture over the casserole.
6. Bake casserole for 20 to 30 minutes, or until bubbling. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 5. The casserole will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Calories 288 / Protein: 24g / Carbohydrates: 35g / Total Fat: 6g / Saturated Fat: 2g / Dietary Fiber: 3g / Cholesterol: 45mg / Sugars: 5g / Calcium: 123mg / Iron: 3mg / Sodium: 551mg / Potassium: 552mg